Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What IS IT with these people?

They lie about everything, big and small. Now, in an effort to make Sarah Palin seem like Cicero, they're lying about her "ad libbing" her obviously scripted remarks (whatever happened to the "empty rhetoric" attack line?). Palin acts like a little kid who, after running her bicycle into a parked car, hurtling over the hood, and landing on a pile of dog crap, gets up, bruised, bloody, and shit-stained, brushes herself off and says, "I meant to do that."

Political Punch
At a fundraiser in Canton, Ohio, this evening, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had an interesting description of her speech to the Republican convention.

“There Ohio was right out in front, right in front of me," Palin said. "The teleprompter got messed up, I couldn’t follow it, and I just decided I’d just talk to the people in front of me. It was Ohio.”

This struck many of us -- who, as she spoke, followed along with her prepared remarks, and noted how closely she stuck to the script -- as an unusual claim. (Especially those of my colleagues on the convention floor at the time, reading along on the prompter with her, noticing her excellent and disciplined delivery, how she punched words that were underlined and paused where it said "pause," noting that "nuclear" was spelled out for her phonetically.)

[...]

I should note that, after Palin's speech, some conservative bloggers reported that sources close to McCain had told them that the teleprompter had broken and Palin "winged it."

"The teleprompter did not break," wrote Politico's Jonathan Martin.  "Sarah Palin delivered a powerful speech last night, but she did not 'wing it'..."

Says Martin, "Perhaps there were moments where it scrolled slightly past her exact point in the speech. But I was sitting in the press section next to the stage, within easy eyeshot of the teleprompter. I frequently looked up at the machine, and there was no serious malfunction. A top convention planner confirms this morning that there were no major problems."

I mean, c'mon. And they even had to spell out "noo-clee-urr" for her? What a bunch of morons.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,